March 17, 2010

Stuff I Like (part 1)

I've decided to do a multi-part series about different things that I love. They will range from particular artist's (my first post) to music, websites, architecture / design, food, people, places, books, movies, electronics, companies, bla, bla, bla, and the list of randomness continues.

Wow, this could be a long series. But I promise, it'll be a good time. Think of it as Oprah Winfrey's yearly favorite things episode, but without you getting any of the cool stuff for free. But yeah, maybe you'll find some new things that you'll love.

Anyway, my first post in my - Stuff I Like series - is the artwork of Phil Hanson. He's weird, but creative (most creative people are a bit odd) and he makes some cool artwork in very unconventional ways. For example his piece Bruce Lee (see below) he made by karate chopping black paint onto a canvas until it looked like Bruce Lee. Ummm, that's awesome, you may not think so, but your wrong, it's awesome. I don't love all of his work, but I do find his style fascinating, here are my favorite pieces.



This next is called Mother Teresa, it is done by arranging dandelions and to make an image of her.



And this last one is called 1400 celsius and is made by burning in image of a firefighter into 2 x 4 pieces of wood that are arranged 3 dimensionally (the image of the firefighter is the unburned portion). You can walk around the piece but you only see the firefighter from one view point.



Anyway, here's a link to his website. And mom, if you are ever wondering what to get me for my birthday, he sells poster size prints (not-so-subtle hint hint)

No comments:

Post a Comment