I love it when ordinary people do extrodiary things. Even if their adventures are a bit on the insane side. This guy, Abe Clark, is running across the continental U.S. in order to raise money for Living Water, an organization that builds well's / water hand-pumps in places around the world that do not have clean drinking water. Abe's goal is to raise 100,000 dollars, which will provide clean water to approximately 250,000 people.

Honestly, I've been a bit hesitant to donate money to many of the Haiti relief organizations. Don't judge me, I have my reasons, 1 there are so many organizations out there its overwhelming, and 2 they are often quite vague about where the money goes. I believe that they all have the best intentions at heart, but I like to know exactly where my donations are going and the good that they are doing. That's why I like what this guy is going so much. He's running across the continent alone, which is insane, and awesome, and by doing so is helping raise funds for a specific cause.
If you would like to donate, I've added a widget to the right side of my blog that will connect you to the site to donate and also lets you know how much has been donated thus far. You can read his blog here. It's pretty fascinating.
Some random fun running across the country facts - about 250-ish people have successfully completed the feat, - Abe Clark will be the 12th known person to complete it without a support team, - the trek is from 2900 to 3200 miles ish depending on route.
YUCK. I think about running 3 miles and I pass out. Don't even talk to me about a marathon. I mean... I respect that he can do that... but there is no way in h-e-l-l that I would even think about running that.
ReplyDeletePS We only donated to Haiti through church... *because* we knew that the money would be used the way it should be.
True, donating through the church is always a good idea.
ReplyDelete